.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

August 20, 2005

Game (almost) Over!

FYI, the Game On! Exhibit at Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry closes in just over 2 weeks - on Labor Day, Monday September 5th.

I took one of my classes there a few months ago (field trip!), and here's my very quick thumbnail review.

When I first walked in, I was very excited, because the first things I saw were a PDP-1 mainframe (of Steve Russell/Spacewar! fame), PONG, Nolan Bushnell's pre-PONG failure Computer Space (first coin-op video game), and this initially-impressive row of classic arcade cabinets.

However, as I walked through the too-short exhibit, I thought that they could have done a much better job. For example, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga (and a few others) are terrific, but where the hell were Defender and Pac-Man?

In general, the exhibit was pretty good, but it didn't deliver what it promised when I first walked in. I thought I'd enjoy spending the whole day there, but I was ready to bail after a couple hours (okay, maybe 3. . . or 4).

Highlights:
Lowlights:
  • Overall shortness
  • Lack of playable handhelds
  • Simon...2??
  • The missing arcade classics
I'll add more highs & lows as I remember them.

As for the kid factor, if you're already planning an outing to the Museum, then you and your kids will probably enjoy the exhibit as a small part of your day. But if you build it up as the main reason you're going, they (and you) may be a little disappointed.

Bottom line, it's worth going, as long as you don't build it up to be an amazing thing.

3 Comments:

  • The funny thing is, DisneyQuest down in Orlando (an indoor electronic interactive experience) had a floor with lots of old arcade games - and although they didn't have Computer Space, I actually found it a pretty educational experience as a game geek who just missed the arcade age due to birth. And everything was freeplay (once you paid the admission to get in, of course). Last time I was there was in 2002 though, so I'm not sure the games are still there.

    The computer gaming "museum" exhibit they set up at E3 every year is really low-key, but always a lot of fun (I had never been hands-on with an Intellivision before.) The machines are sometimes in various states of disrepair, but being hands-on like that is awesome.

    By Anonymous Cheryl, at 2:52 PM  

  • When DisneyQuest opened in Chicago, I wanted to go to the old school floor in the worst way, but that was in the midst of my "acting-like-a-grownup" phase, and I never made it before it closed. *sigh*

    At E3, I also ventured downstairs to the Classic Gaming Museum exhibit in Kentia Hall, and after getting my ass kicked at Robotron 2084, I talked to Keith Robinson of Intellivision for a while. Very cool to meet the guy who created something that gave me so many great memories.

    By Blogger Dan, at 9:10 PM  

  • jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home