.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

March 07, 2006

Hidely Ho, Neighborinos!

I'm blogging from San Francisco, where I'll be attending the Game Marketing Conference tomorrow and Thursday. I got some spiffy new biz cards for the occasion (as well as for GDC and E3). They look like baseball cards, complete with my "stats" (partial resume) on the back.

I'm currently looking for a marketing or strategy position in the video game industry, so although this is finals week at school, I didn't see how I could miss this conference. So before I left, I e-mailed my final exam to my Program Director, who was kind enough to proctor the exam for me. Thanks, John!

Today, I hung out with Chicago/Northwestern/Kellogg homey Robin at EA/Maxis, where she showed me 'round the place for a little while, even though she's hella busy. Much fun :)

Before I left on Monday, I dropped my son off at his school. He's been a little, shall we say, reticent about saying good-bye in general, so I wasn't sure how things would go, seeing as I was leaving for the entire work week.

As it turned out, though, things actually went very smoothly.

How, you ask?
Through the magic of video games, I reply.

Recently, we've been playing Sly 2: Band of Thieves...again (more about that in an upcoming post/GameDAILY Family column), and as is his custom with whatever game we happen to be playing, my son was pretending to be the characters in the game.

The night before I left, I was Jean Bison, and he was Arpeggio, and together, we frolicked about the Canadian Wilderness (our living room), as bad guys are wont to do. A good time was had by all.

So the next morning, just to head any separation anxiety off at the proverbial pass, I picked up where we'd left off the previous evening, and my son immediately joined in.

Everything was going swell, until I forgot his bag in the car and had to leave him in the class (yes, with other, responsible adults) for a minute. So much for my smoothly executed plan.

But when I came back with his bag, he was still pretty happy. So we continued in our funny voices for a minute or two, then he decided it was time to use our normal voices when it was time for me to go.

So we gave each other big squeezy hugs and a kiss, and as I left, he happily went to play at the Lego table with some of his friends.

- sigh -

Is there anything video games can't do? ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home