.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

September 12, 2005

Super Vegas 64

A few weeks ago, my wife and kids went to visit family in Las Vegas, while I stayed at home to care for our ailing pooch, Otter.

The kids had a great time playing with their cousins, and in addition to the general rambunctiousness, they played some video games together.

They loved Dance Dance Revolution (not sure which version), and several other current-gen games. But the highlights of the gaming portion of the trip (notice I didn't say the highlight of the whole trip - most of their fun was of the analog variety) were none other than Nintendo 64 classics Diddy Kong Racing, and... drumroll please... Super Mario 64, which they proclaimed to be the "best game ever!" (I'm so proud *sniff*).

On the way back from the airport, they excitedly asked if we could get those games too, and I had to be the bearer of bad tidings - that we didn't have a Nintendo 64.

As a "consolation prize", I told them that since I did still have my old NES (it survived the basement purge that claimed my old Intellivision), we could play Super Mario Brothers at some point. Naturally, they wanted that point to be the very moment we walked back into our house. In hindsight, I probably could've managed their expectations a little better.

I had to explain that while the console works just fine, the actual cartridge itself - Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt combo (the original NES Action Set pack-in game) - wasn't really working so well. So if the trusty ol' blowing-onto-the-connectors didn't work, I'd have to find a new game somewhere, and that might take a little while.

Fast-forward to the following day (and more poorly-managed expections), and they asked if they could play the game yet.

Since then, they've asked a couple more times, but by now, they're probably reasonable in thinking that surely I've made significant progress by now.

*sigh*

All right. You wore me down, kids. I guess I'll head on over to eBay to find a used copy of Super Mario Brothers......... or maybe I'll try the blowing test one more time.

4 Comments:

  • Oddly enough, I have another solution to your connector problem. One that has worked without fail for many years. Simply lick the contacts...my tongue is small enough to get in between the plastic, some tongues arent. You could also try a wet Q-tip. But for some reason saliva seems to work that much better.
    Post a comment to tell me if it works, love your site, just found it last week.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

  • Thanks for the knowledge.
    I'll try to salvage the one I have.

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:01 PM  

  • That settles it. Rubbing alcohol it is. I wasn't relishing the thought of getting freaky with an NES cartridge anyway. ;) Thanks!

    By Blogger Dan, at 11:12 AM  

  • Designer cat collars come in christian louboutin cheap shoes all forms from floral, gem-stoned, personalized discount louboutin shoes

    By Anonymous christianlouboutin, at 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home