.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

March 30, 2006

Back In Black

...or, more accurately, Bad At Black, EA's recently-released uber-shooter.

As I've written a few times, after I put the kids to bed, that's when I play my beloved "grownup games".

Now don't get me wrong. I love many of the games my kids and I play together. It doesn't get much better than Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Katamari Damacy, or some of the many Mario games. I also love sports games and racing games.

But there are also times when I just hafta see something get blow'd up, y'know?! So in the last couple years, I've rented many shooterific games via GameFly. Games like Resident Evil 4, Far Cry Instincts, Call of Duty: Finest Hour, Halo 2, The Warriors (punch-a-rific?), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (stealth-a-rific?), God of War (blade-a-rific?), F.E.A.R. (creepy little girl-a-rific?), and the list goes on.

So after getting back from GDC, I finally opened up the new orange envelope that had been sitting unopened on my desk for a couple weeks, and pulled out Black. As is my wont, I played the game on Easy (not that there's anything wrong with that).

However, although I should have been tiptoeing my way through the underbrush, I was getting my ass handed to me at the border every single time! I had plenty of ammo and was blowing up all of the "red things", but my health (and the rapid depletion thereof) always got me in the end. Damn you, not-enough-health-packs-on-easy! Oh, and more importantly... damn you, not-enough-save-points! I had to play though the same damn early level just for the honor of dying at the exact same place every freaking time! Seriously, for someone who plays so many of these games, shouldn't I be less sucky at them?

Anyhoo, I've been thinking about adding general gaming commentary here and there, and this post is an example of just that. So, gentle reader, would you welcome this kind of occasional departure from the kiddy stuff, or would you rather I kept my eyes on the prize and stayed on my present course?

To clarify, family gaming is the raison d'etre of GameFam, and that will never change. I'll never write one of these posts instead of a kid-focused one. Only in addition.

What say you?

1 Comments:

  • Thanks, man. As always, I appreciate the feedback.

    By Blogger Dan, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home