.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

December 13, 2006

You're Doing It Wrong!

Remember the movie "Mr. Mom" from the mid- '80s?

At one point in the film, Michael Keaton's recently laid-off character tries to drive carpool for the first time, and as he drives into the school driveway in the opposite direction, swimming upstream against a raging torrent of veteran carpool-driving moms, one of them rolls down her window and shouts, "You're doing it wrong!"

In my case, it's actually a new job (as opposed to the lack of one) that has caused me to get wrong what once was so right. Clearly, for any regular readers (i.e. regular commenter WizarDru and some other delightful folks out there - you know who you are), I haven't been posting with anywhere near the regularity or depth of the preceding 16 months.

Basically, I've had to make choices about how to budget my time. Before I started working at EA Chicago, my two biggest chunks of time were spent 1) hanging out with my wife and kids and 2) writing about video games. Now I've had to add in a huge new chunk to the mix - work. And with the greatly reduced remainder, deciding between writing and family time is as close to a no-brainer as it gets. I love being a game developer, but my family will always come first, which is, ironically, why I enjoyed writing this blog and my GameDaily/AOL column in the first place.

Now I'm not saying that I'm going to stop writing. Not by a longshot. I just have to find a way to fit it into the rotation with greater regularity. Hey, if other insanely busy gamey-type folks like Robin, Kim, Clint, David, and many others can find the time to write interesting, intelligent, insightful posts fairly often, how can I not get my ass in gear and do the same?

So for the past 2 and a half months, I've been doing it wrong, but from now on, I'll do my best to get it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home