.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

GameFam

April 25, 2007

Take Your Little Gamers To Work Day

Tomorrow is EA Chicago's Bring Your Kid(s) To Work Day, and my kids and I are very excited. We're going to take the train downtown together, which should get the day started nicely.

Naturally, all of this reminds me of the last time my kids visited me at work. And no, I'm not talking about this past October, when my wife and kids joined me for the grand opening of EA Chicago's new studio in the River North area of downtown Chicago. And since I mention it, that shindig wasn't the same as tomorrow promises to be. Oh, sure, there was a chocolate fountain and desserts galore, and my kids got to play Sims 2 Pets. That was swell. But other than that, the party was really for the grownups to have fun, especially the booming dance music in the arcade that made my kids cover their ears whenever they were near.

But I digress. What tomorrow makes me think of is the last time my kids visited me at my office during the workday - several years ago at ye olde folding carton company. What are some of the differences between those 2 times, you ask? Let's see now...

  • Makin' Boxes - Big drafty office to myself. No, really. I had to buy a space heater. :(
  • Makin' Games - big cubicle/action area that I share with smart, funny, swell folks who also love making games. :)
  • Makin' Boxes - my favorite thing about the office: I listened to sports radio, since I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, which is only fair, since my co-worker was allowed to listen to her headphones while she's filing, so I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.
  • Makin' Games - my favorite thing about the office: the people, the neighborhood, the arcade, the roof deck (coming soon), the fact that I can express myself by displaying as many pieces of flair as I want, and of course, the fact that I'm making games for a living.
  • Makin' Boxes - my kids' favorite thing about the office: free stickers
  • Makin' Games - my kids' favorite thing about the office: arcade games, snacks, having a happy Dad.
  • Makin' Boxes - job that just wasn't right for me. :(
  • Makin' Games - job I love. :)
I'm sure there are more interesting comparisons I can come up with. So I'll publish this post now and I may add more stuff if I think of it.

So let's just say I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home